Why travel to Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Located in beautiful and sunny Carlsbad, California, Fertility Specialists Medical Group (FSMG) has been a top destination for patients traveling internationally for fertility treatments for over 15 years. The doctors of FSMG have been distinguished as leaders in optimizing the latest reproductive technologies while offering personalized patient care.
FSMG has extensive experience coordinating the care of international patients from around the world, including Spain, Greece, Norway, Israel, Mexico, China and Korea.
Patients traveling to FSMG for fertility treatments will be given exceptional patient-centered care that focuses on achieving their family building goals. The staff at FSMG will assist in travel and lodging arrangements, and ensure a smooth and relaxing experience.
FSMG is proud to offer international patients a wide range of treatment options, including IVF (in vitro fertilization), PGT (preimplantation genetic testing), gender selection, egg donation and surrogacy services.
International patient treatment options
International patients are often considering IVF, PGT, egg donation or surrogacy. FSMG is proud to offer these services in a personalized and professional manner.
IVF (in vitro fertilization)
In vitro fertilization is a reproductive technology in which eggs are removed from the ovaries and joined with sperm outside of the body in order to form embryos. These embryos are transferred back into the woman, or in some cases, a surrogate.
Prior to being transferred, embryos may be tested for chromosome abnormalities and gender through preimplantation genetic testing (PGT). Patients may then select the chromosomally normal embryos of their choice.
IVF options for international patients
IVF Option 1: treatment in home country and San Diego
Estimated time in San Diego: 1-3 weeks
- Patient will have a Skype consultation with one of our physicians. At this consultation, the patient and doctor will develop a treatment plan specialized to the patient’s family building goals.
- Patient will complete any recommended screening or lab work in their home country
- Patient will start treatment in home country through coordinated outside monitoring
- Patient will travel to San Diego for last part of treatment, including egg retrieval and transfer.
IVF Option 2: All treatment in San Diego
Estimated time in San Diego: 2-4 weeks
- Patient will travel to San Diego for initial consultation and all treatment, including egg retrieval and transfer
- Patient will travel to home country once treatment is complete
FSMG’s extensive experience and resources within the third-party reproduction community allows us to guide international patients along each step of the third party reproduction process. Whether patients are looking to build their family through anonymous (or known) egg donation, sperm donation, or surrogacy, FSMG will coordinate all required parties to ensure a smooth and efficient cycle.
While the process may seem overwhelming, the third party team at FSMG will walk you through each step. We start by performing a complete review of your medical records and a careful assessment to individualize your treatment. While all tests performed are thorough and efficient, we also make sure not to repeat any tests previously done by other physicians, as long as they have been done appropriately and within a certain time frame. The other components include:
- Identifying a donor candidate (2 to 12 weeks), either through FSMG’s pool of frozen egg donor cohorts or via an egg donation agency
- Additional donor testing (1-4 weeks), if indicated
- Donor stimulation cycle (2 weeks)If you choose to use an anonymous egg donor, you may select a donor through Growing Generations, a national egg donation agency that we have partnered with in order to bring you a large number of donor candidates. Donor candidates are typically between 19 and 28 years old. The screening process carefully follows guidelines that have been set by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- If you choose an anonymous donor, you will be provided with a detailed medical history of both the donor and her family, along with a thorough description of her physical characteristics. You will also have access to her genetic counseling information. Throughout the process, confidentiality and anonymity will be maintained—donors and recipients will not meet.
- We offer both known and anonymous egg donation.
Couples or individuals may use donor sperm for a variety of reasons. Some men may have no sperm or poor semen quality (which would be determined through a Semen Analysis.) Some men know that they are carriers for specific genetic abnormalities that they do not wish to pass to their offspring. Donor sperm also allows individuals and female same sex couples to build their families through donor sperm with intrauterine insemination (IUI) or IVF.
FSMG works with a number of reputable sperm banks (see partial list below.) Patients may choose to purchase donor sperm from other sperm banks that have AATB accreditation.
Each sperm bank provides detailed profiles for their donors, including genetics screening, medical history and personal information such as education and family background. Donors must meet specific minimum criteria and test negative for infectious diseases prior to becoming a donor, as directed by the FDA.
The cost per specimen and shipping fees will vary depending on the sperm bank.
Some individuals/couples chose to use a known sperm donor. Known sperm donors must follow the same screening guidelines as anonymous donors, as directed by the FDA. This includes a physical exam, a questionnaire for high-risk behaviors, and a set of infectious disease labs at an FDA-approved lab within 7 days of donation. This evaluation and screening can be performed by a local urologist or at one of the national sperm bank. Please contact our staff if you have additional questions regarding the specifics of known sperm donation.
Intended parents may use a gestational carrier (surrogate) as a means to build their families. FSMG works with numerous surrogacy agencies in the San Diego area. Agencies typically recruit, screen, and legally represent all potential candidates as gestational surrogates, while we perform the medical testing necessary to ensure that a carrier is medically cleared for pregnancy.
Gestational Carrier agencies around the country offer programs for intended parents to meet potential gestational carriers (surrogates). Once a potential gestational carrier (surrogate) completes an extensive application, she is screened and referred to a licensed psychologist for evaluation before being admitted into a program.
The potential gestational carrier (surrogate) is evaluated here at Fertility Specialists Medical Group for medical clearance and, if appropriate, can then proceed with embryo transfer. Counseling is provided throughout the pre-pregnancy period and during the 1st trimester of pregnancy.
There are a number of agencies in the San Diego area.