The FSMG Medical Team
In addition to Arlene J. Morales, M.D., Wendy Shelly, M.D., and Dr Kristi Maas, M.D., our team at Fertility Specialists Medical Group is led by:
- Joe Conaghan, Ph.D., HCLD, Embryology Director
- Kathryn Pache, M.Sc., Embryology Lab Supervisor
- Carol Mills, R.N., Nursing Director of SDCRS
- Megan Seidel, R.N and Marianne Novella, Third Party Program Coordinators
- Our clinical staff, including RN IVF Coordinators and MA’s
- Our team of financial coordinators
At FSMG, we have the distinction of being staffed by board certified Reproductive Endocrinologists, Embryologists, and Andrologists. Joe Conaghan, our Lab Director, is board certified as a High-Complexity Clinical Laboratory Director by the American Board of Bioanalysis. These unique qualifications have enabled FSMG to successfully integrate the clinical and laboratory aspects of Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) to achieve excellent results for our patients. We strive for the highest pregnancy rates possible while maintaining a low rate of multiple pregnancies.
We’re proud of our staff and the work they do. Together, we are honored to be chosen to help you reach your family goals.
“This chapter has been difficult, exciting, and very rewarding. Knowing that the FSMG team is supporting us and sending positivity our way has made the entire experience better. Thank you for everything.” – Patient Testimonial
Joe Conaghan, Ph.D., HCLD, Embryology
Joe Conaghan, Ph.D., HCLD, joined FSMG as our Laboratory Director in 2008. Known internationally for his work on improving embryo culture conditions, he comes with 19 years experience working in embryology and andrology laboratories.
The embryology team at Fertility Specialists Medical Group is comprised of:
- Joe Conaghan, Ph.D.
- Kathryn Pache, M.Sc. (Embryology Lab Supervisor)
- Embryology and Andrology Team
Our consistently excellent pregnancy rates, increasing percentage of single-blastocyst embryo transfers, and improvements in embryo and egg vitrification are the result of the embryology team’s dedication to pursuing advanced and evolving technology within the field. Ms Pache is responsible for day-to-day operations of both the andrology and embryology laboratories. Our embryologists are also active members of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and The San Diego Reproductive Endocrinology Society, which provides for continued education.
Our FSMG clinical team include registered nurses and medical assistants, all of whom will play important roles throughout your evaluation and treatment while maintaining a respectful and professional environment.
All have obtained advanced training and education in the field of women’s health and reproduction. Each serves to educate and coordinate all assisted-reproduction cycles.
Our Medical Assistants are valuable to our team. They are certified phlebotomists who will be drawing your blood, assisting the doctor with your daily ultrasounds, and helping with egg retrievals and embryo transfers.
Third Party Program Staff
Our Third Party Program team includes Megan Seidel, R.N and Marianne Novella. Megan and Marianne guide patients through their third-party cycles, including patients using egg or sperm donors, gestational carriers, and patients receiving donated embryos. They also run FSMG’s In-House Egg Donor Program, including recruiting egg donors and assisting in the donor-recipient matching process.
Our Financial Staff—Your Financial Advocates
Our financial coordinators are happy to address your questions on insurance coverage, help you understand your benefits, and how to calculate your out-of-pocket expenses. They can also help you determine the best options for making your treatment as affordable as possible and for managing treatment costs.
Many of our first-time patients have questions regarding insurance coverage. We will help you determine your coverage, including diagnostic and treatment coverage. Please call or email our New Patient Coordinator to request an appointment or for information regarding your benefits for a consultation.
For those patients that do not have insurance or coverage for infertility, our team can advise you on cash pricing for both diagnosis and treatment. Please see Diagnostic Case Rate tab for information on cost savings in the evaluation of your fertility.
At the end of your new patient appointment, you will meet with a financial coordinator who will review your insurance benefits. The resulting benefit verification is not a guarantee of coverage or payment, but is the information provided to us by a representative of your insurance company; we strongly encourage you to confirm your benefit check yourself.
FSMG Staff Spotlights!
Ashley – Third Party RN
-Ashley loves working at FSMG because of the people – her fellow FSMG staff and the patients that she gets to work with every day
-Her favorite part of working in Third Party is the ability to make personal connections with each patient, and work with each patient through every single step of the process
– Breakfast of choice? Sunny side up eggs with tortillas, salsa and avocado (a San Diego staple!)
– She has two dogs and two cats and they are her LIFE!
– She loves cookies, and will eat literally any kind (we are still testing this claim)
Melissa – Front Office
-Started working at the front desk at FSMG 8/1/2016
-She loves working at FSMG because fertility is one of the specialties in the medical field where she feels like she is making a real difference in someone’s day/life!
-Her favorite meal ever? Red mole made by her Grandma
– Her favorite movie is Breakfast at Tiffany’s
– Fun fact? She likes to make her own bath salts and bath bombs (the fun soap balls that you dissolve in your bath!)
Irene – Medical Assistant
-Irene has worked at FSMG as a Medical Assistant for 2 years! She will be heading up to work at our new Carlsbad office next month!
– Her favorite part about working at FSMG is being able to be there for patients to help guide them through every step of their journey. She loves the lifelong friendships she creates with her patients!
– She has a slight obsession with Starbucks, and could probably live off of Caramel Macchiatos (with extra caramel of course)
– If she had to be stuck on an island with one other FSMG employee she would hands down choose Denise (from financial) because of her awesome gardening skills, and ability to always make us laugh